1. The board is empty at the start of the game.
2. Black makes the first move, after which he and White alternate.
3. A move consists of placing one stone of one’s own colour on an empty intersection of two lines on the board.
4. A player may pass his turn at any time.
5. A stone or solidly connected group of stones of one colour is captured and removed from the board when all the empty
intersections directly adjacent to it (called liberties) have been occupied by the enemy. (Suicide is illegal except when
you are capturing the enemy)
6. No stone may be played so as to recreate a former board position.
7. Two consecutive passes end the game.
8. A player’s territory is of all the empty intersections he has surrounded.
9. The player with the most territory wins.